Thursday, January 27, 2011

An Update and My Weekly Money Check-Up

Hi all! It's good to be back. I was sick with a stomach bug for a bit and work has been crazy busy (which is a good thing!), so this is the first time I've been on here in a week and I've missed you guys!


Just an update on things... I am happy to share that we did NOT overdraw our account last week. That was one of my concerns since our checking account balance was really low and they put a silly old hold on my husband's payroll check. I was pleasantly surprised when I logged into our account and saw that it was positive! Hopefully, the days of seeing it in the red are IN THE PAST!

In regard to our recent fender bender, the other insurance company has claimed responsibility, so things are going fairly smooth and I won't have to worry about the deductible ($1000) on our insurance! We took the car in for 3 estimates, one was referred to us by Honda, one was a preferred vendor of the insurance company and the 3rd was the body shop next to my husband's job. The first two came out fairly similar, $1395 and $1418. The last one came in just under $1200. We are now waiting for the check to come in and then we have a decision to make. We're unsure of how we're going to proceed though. Part of us wants to get it fixed (at the lowest cost possible) and then put the extra towards debt repayment. Another part thinks that we should just take the car to the preferred vendor and give them the whole check, having peace of mind that it will be fixed properly and quickly. My husband threw out another option last night which is to just keep the small dent and chipped paint and send the whole amount into the credit card. Hmmmm, this one is interesting! I would feel a little bad not fixing our car up properly given that it's fairly new and we don't know if not repairing it will cause future rust or worse damage. We still have some time to decide what to do, but I'm open to your suggestions :)

As usual here's My Weekly Money Check-Up, courtesy of My Pretty Pennies blog.

1. The most I’ve spent this last week was on our rent. We're still looking for something closer to work that costs less, so maybe someday this amount will go down.

2. Today I feel okay towards money. I know there are going to be up's and down's. Today I'm feeling at peace about the process.

3. Money can’t buy happiness. One free/inexpensive thing I did last week that made me happy was
started a new series on Netflix with my hubby. We just started watching Friday Night Lights together. I love getting a new disc in the mail and knowing we'll be all snuggled up on the couch watching it together!

4. I will consider this week a success if I
don't go overboard on my hubby's birthday. We are thinking of taking it easy and just having a nice long weekend together, but you never know what may happen!

5. My favorite way to relax is
getting a massage! Absolutely. Hands down, this is my favorite way to relax. Although it is costly, so my back up inexpensive way is to take a hot bath or go in the jacuzzi. We're fortunate enough that our complex has a jacuzzi on site and there's nothing like hopping in there after a long day at work, with a nice glass of wine. The hot water melts my stress away! (For now the hot water and wine are both on hold though while we try to conceive.)

7 comments:

  1. Your car is new right? If it was older I would say accept the dent and use the money on debt. However...you always have to think about resale/trade-in value. Eventually the day will come when you need to replace it and it's going to cost you then if you haven't done the body work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jane - get the repair done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jane. Especially if you have a car loan. (I'm not sure if you do or not). I'm glad that you won't have to pay the $1,000 deductible. That's great savings!

    Hope you are feeling a lot better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good news. That's great! I think since your car is new you should consider the repairs. Also, I second the massage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you back. And I agree with the girls get it fixed if it,s a fairly new car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback! I've heard you all and we're going to move forward with the car repair. It's just the right thing to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone who owns a car should have a car maintenance routine. Keeping your car in good condition and doing a few regular routine tasks can help prolong the life of you car, reduce wear and tear and help you to avoid costly breakdowns. Many tasks like changing the oil are relatively simple, but do require some equipment and a little bit of time.

    ReplyDelete