Monday, April 11, 2011

Discover Rewards

So, as you know we are in the process of packing for our upcoming move. Lately I've been doing lots of reading about getting rid of your "stuff" on Man vs. Debt & on this other cool website talks about doing a 30 day Organize-athon. Motivating stuff for sure!

As I go through our stuff there have been some items I've tossed, some I've set aside to sell and others I plan to donate. I've also been making a little "moving wishlist"of sorts. One of the items on the wishlist is new towels! It's been YEARS since I've replaced our bath towels. They are all worn, faded and tattered. I know buying stuff kind of goes against the websites I mentioned above, but I'm only replacing what we currently have and use on a regular basis. I'm actually getting rid of 10 towels and looking to replace them with only 4, so I will have reduced our towel situation by 6! Winning!

Normally I wouldn't spend the money to replace our towels when we are in debt, so the way I'm going to pay for it is with my Discover card rewards. Discover has this great "cash back" program where they give you 1% of your spending back. This WAS a great reward when I would pay the account in full each month. Unfortunately let's just say that that hasn't happened in a while! In the past year or so, Discover decided to raise the minimum amount you need to credit back to your account to $50. I've been in the $40's for what seems like EVER! I'm currently at $49 and some change but since I'm not going to use the card anymore I know it will never reach $50.

When I received notification that my new statement was available yesterday I decided to log on and check out what my other options were with my cash back. Turns out I can turn $20 into $25 worth of gift cards at Bed, Bath & Beyond (BB&B). Score! I can use these cards to buy some items on my wishlist. So, I've decided to turn $40 into $50 worth of giftcards!

Another great thing about BB&B is that they constantly send out 20% off coupons and they let you use your expired ones! You can use up to 5 coupons during a visit (one for each item). This is a pretty good deal. I'm hoping with the $50 I can get us some new towels and other items from my wishlist.

Good Idea :
Turn your credit card rewards in for something you would need to use cash to buy anyway.

1 comment: