Friday, September 24, 2010

Goals for the remainder of 2010 - UPDATED!

As I continue to read more blogs and get a better idea of how this whole thing works, I've decided that it will help me to develop some goals. Although I'm anxious to get started on my goals for 2011, I think I should still write down a few for 2010 since there's still 3+ months left.

Financial
  • Officially start the new budget! This probably won't be until November, due to the wedding/honeymoon next month :)

  • UPDATE : We did start our new budget and we're off to a good start. I've learned some things over the past couple of months... it's almost impossible to budget for everything (which is why it's important to have an emergency savings to fall back on when life's little bumps come up) and don't be too hard on myself (I wanted to be perfect, right from the start, but it's like learning to ride a bike or play a new sport - you're gonna fall down sometimes!).

  • Reach back out to CC companies to request lowering my interest rates. I've done this once before but I was not successful. I'm determined to try again though. Since one of the accounts is closed, I probably won't have luck with that one, but the other one should hopefully lower the rate some.

  • UPDATE : I did this and was unsuccessful. One company told me my rate was frozen, as is, until the card is paid off and the other said they no longer lower rates for customers. I'm not giving up all hope though. I'll plan to call back in the new year and see if I get the same answers. Determination, that's where it's at!
Personal
  • Relax and enjoy my wedding and honeymoon! Sometimes it's hard for me to relax and live in the moment. I really want to be able to do this. It's the first tropical getaway that my soon-to-be husband and I have had in a while and I'd really like to make the most of it. Especially since we may not get a vacation like this for a long while!

  • UPDATE : I definitely did this :) We had a wonderfully simple wedding and honeymoon. It was perfect for us.

  • Stick to my current way of eating, on Atkins, and continue to lose weight. This has been a great way of eating for me. I'm trying to avoid calling it a "diet", since it's more about a way of life. I've lost weight (20lbs in just under 2 months), my clothes are looser and I feel great! I want to remember how I feel now and make sure I continue on this path.

  • UPDATE : Well... let's just say we weren't as committed after the honeymoon, as we were before! We're both feeling a bit sluggish now though and plan to recommit in the new year. It's great having a partner that you can share these things with, who is by your side to succeed as well.

  • Finish reading a book! I'm in the middle of "Too Fat to Fish" by Artie Lange and I'd like to finish it and move on to something fiction. I love Artie, but it's been a slow read for some reason and I just need to get it done!

  • UPDATE : I did finish reading a book! Not the one I mentioned above, but another one that I took with us on our honeymoon. I'm going to put this one back on my goal list for 2011.
Professional
  • Request a promotion! This will be a challenge for me. I motivate friends and colleagues to go after what they deserve all the time... but when it comes to pushing myself to do the same thing, it's a different story. I think it's time though. I've proven myself in my current position and I am ready to take the next step.

  • UPDATE : I did request a promotion and now it's a waiting game to see if I got it or not. I'll probably find out for sure by February. I'll keep ya posted!
  • Update my resume. Ha, this is kind of funny, considering my goal above. I should do it though. I don't do a great job of selling myself and my vast skill set. I need to sit down and take the time to write up a better resume. Hopefully if the goal above is successful, I won't need to send it out - but just in case, I'll have it ready.

  • UPDATE : I've started to update my resume. It's a work in progress right now. I'm hoping the promotion will come through and I won't have to worry about finishing it, but if it doesn't, I will definitely finish it up and start a job search in the new year.
So, that's it for my goals for the next few months. I'll try to get in a routine of updating my progress periodically. Hopefully this blog will help hold me accountable and I will be successful in achieving these goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment